L-Carnitine is one of the most effective nutritional ingredients for weight reduction programmes, athletes who need to recover effectively after exercise and in male subfertility for health sperm.
It is a very small molecule, soluble in water. Which intervenes in the natural process of generating heat, triggering a temperature rise that will later lead to “fat burning” and to the reduction of fat tissue. The symptoms associated with L-Carnitine deficiency include:
- Reduced sperm activity and infertility.
- Tiredness and fatigue, muscular atrophy, vitality loss.
- Immune system depression.
Origin of L-CARNITINE
L-Carnitine was discovered in 1905 by the Russian researchers Gulewitsch & Krimberg in the muscles of mammals, proving this substance necessary for the biochemical functioning of muscle cells. Its name comes from the Latin carnis which means flesh. Years later, in 1952, the German scientist Fraenkel concluded that L-Carnitine is a necessary nutritional component for our lives and named it “vitamin BT”.
As a dietetic substance, it is integrated to the organism by means of the animal protein intake. Or produced by the body, reaching tissues through blood flow. For the synthesis of L-Carnitine it is necessary a support of essential amino acids, mainly lysine and methionine, as well as ascorbic acid, niacin, pyridoxine and iron, being L-carnitine its active form.
Why does our body use L-CARNITINE?
L-Carnitine enables free fatty acids to be transported into the mitochondria of cells to turn into energy. Without the activity of L-Carnitine, fatty bodies would tend to accumulate in muscle tissue, fat tissue and arteries.
The action of L-Carnitine on the muscle energy metabolism and the protection of the muscle tissue’s integrity, define it as an essential active substance for the physical and sports performance, besides helping lose fat in combination with physical activity.
Benefits and properties
- L-Carnitine is necessary for producing and releasing energy. It is stored in our body and is quickly released as an energy supply. So it is widely used to increase sports performance and improve aerobic and anaerobic capacities.
- It also improves the capacity for recovery and decreases muscle damage from specific muscle-building exercises.
- Carnitines are also highly concentrated in the epididymis and play a crucial role in the sperm health (metabolism & maduration). They are related to sperm motility and have antioxidant properties. A variety of studies conclude that Carnitines at total daily amount of 3 grams can significantly improve both sperm concentration and total sperm counts among men with asthenozoospermia and oligoasthenozoospermia.
- The influence of L-Carnitine on fertility and sperm health has been extensively studied. A study by Lenzi and colleagues in 2003 confirmed that 2g of L-Carnitine each day could bolster sperm concentration and motility. Other earlier studies have also found similar results. Vitali and colleagues administered 3g of L-Carnitine during three months to men with sub-fertility problems. Resulting in sperm motility and count improve in 79% of patients.
How do we add L-CARNITINE to our diet?
It is present in many foods, above all in meat. We can also find it in vegetable foods like carrots or tomatoes, and fruits such as peaches, pears and bananas. A healthy body can produce small amounts of Carnitine (approximately 16 mg/day). According to needs from the union of the amino acids Lysine and Methionine.
It can also be supplied as a dietary supplement. In cases of extra energy intake and as an additional stimulus to fat metabolism, beat muscular atrophy, fatigue and tiredness, improve sperm health and motility and combat vitality loss and immune system depression.
MARNYS® Quality Assurance
L-Carnitine is subjected to an identity test by means of infrared spectrophotometry and a quantification analysis of the active ingredients according to our purchase specifications. All this in order to verify the raw material and guarantee maximum purity.
MARNYS® – Martínez Nieto S.A. only works with suppliers certified by international quality certifications and agencies (GMP; ISO; IFS; Halal, Kosher certificates, among others) to ensure that they meet the high levels of quality required. MARNYS® active L-Carnitine ingredient has certified pharmaceutical quality registered as Drug Master File (DMF) submitted to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).